MultiNet FAQs & Technical Tips
Table of Contents
- Where on the HP web site can I get the HP KRB$RTL.EXE
shareable image ?
do I determine what version of MultiNet I'm running?
- Are there any newgroups
or other ways to talk to other MultiNet users?
- How can I find out
what patches are available for MultiNet?
- What do I do if MultiNet fails to start on an Integrity system?
- Is there a way to tell
what process owns a connection?
- I am using MultiNet 5.2 on an OpenVMS 8.3 AlphaServer. The output of the command " $ multinet show/buffer" at the end reports the following message: " *** 2 BUFFERS ARE MISSING!!! ***". What does it mean?
- How can I verify
that my new service is installed?
How do I add the loopback network?
- Can I change
MultiNet's IP address without rebooting the system?
- How do I use
MultiNet on another node in the cluster that it was not previously installed
- I would like
to shorten the amount of time a connection is attempted before it is
timed out and an error is returned. Can this be done in MultiNet?
- I'd like
to join two sites (actually two organizations) with a secure tunnel
using MultiNet IPSEC on an AlphaServer at each site. Selected systems
at each site would then be configured with static routes which
use their respective "local" AlphaServer as
the route to systems at the "remote" site. Can this be
- How do
I get the outbound IP to look like the cluster alias IP so the NAT
- I would like to change the amount of time it takes
for DNS name lookups to fail. Can this
- Can zone transfers be allowed from certain hosts only?
What does this mean? NAMED_XFER: status = 1c and zone transfer problems
I restrict what hosts can do a zone transfer from my DNS server?
- What is the
difference between DNS Load Balancing and Cluster Aliasing?
- Why are underscores
not allowed in DNS host names?
- Why do I get these messages from OPCOM when I start the MultiNet nameserver?
- What does the named: default: warning: check_hints: error mean?
- Name Server Configuration File
- Simple DNS Configuration Example
- Sample DNS Name Server Configuration
- Domain Delegation
- Creating a DNS Name Server for an Off-Internet Site
- Using a Caching-only Name Server
- Adding Forwarders to Your DNS Configuration
- After the upgrade to Multinet V5.2 from V5.1 on a VAX (VMS 7.3) the nameserver gives the following error message: %named-E-config: error: none:0: open: rndc.key: file not found. I couldn't find this file and neither could I find a reference to it in the DNS config files. What does this message mean?
- When a Unix client uses FTP to put files to my MultiNet/TCPware system the file names get changed, some have $’s added to them, why?
- Why does FTPing savesets from VMS to NT/Windows cause the record length
I configure different FTP access for different users?
do I get "Invalid Block Side" errors after installing a website
Can I install MultiNet in a cluster with different versions of OpenVMS?
- How can I run Multiple FTP servers on different ports?
Master MultiNet Server:
- What patches are necessary for NTP to change the time correctly
fall (2:00 AM on November 4)?
- Will NTP take care of setting the VMS logicals?
- Should I use the VMS system parameter AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV?
- Have there been any more recent changes to the time zone rules in
MultiNet/TCPware than what is in the patches?
- I need to change some logical names at DST changes
in support of various applications we run. How can I do this automatically?
MultiNet change the system time for daylight savings time?
can I not find the kernel symbol "$magic"?
Can MultiNet change the system time for daylight savings time?
- I'm using NTP and would need to know what to do to account for the new timezone rules coming up in 2007.
Can I use the SMTP_SERVER_REJECT file to reject mail based on the subject?
How do I suppress the mail headers in MultiNet's SMTP
- How is MultiNet
configured to send mail when it is behind a firewall?
- I have
to configure SMTP on the system to send all messages out through
our sites SMTP relay server, what do I have to do to configure Multinet/TCPware
to do this?
- I need to set up the SFTP2 transfer to work from a batch job. I'm not seeing an equivalent to the /PASSWORD qualifier that we were using with normal FTP and the documentation doesn't seem to speak to the issue. Is there a recommended methodology for supplying the password in batch mode? -
- I have enabled SSH in my MultiNet configuration. When trying to create the host master key via the $ MULTINET SSH KEYGEN command, why do I receive the following error message?
- What is the difference between SSH v2 and SSH v1 protocol?
- Which applications can I secure besides Telnet and the R services?
- Which encryption ciphers are supported?
- MultiNet SSH Port Forwarding
- When I do an ls command to some SFTP servers (on UNIX systems), the list of files is not alphabetized, but on others it is. Why?
- Why do I have problems with version numbers (or wildcards for version numbers) when in VMS mode?
- I connected to a system running an earlier version of Process Software's SFTP-SERVER2 and VMS transfer mode was not automatically negotiated.
- Why is the directory from a VMS system presented in UNIX format when VMS transfer mode is not in use?
- Why do the filenames on my VMS system have $ characters in them?
- Why doesn't SFTP2 have a TRANSLATE mode like SCP2 does?
- I am using WinSCP on my PC and it won't work with the VMS system. Why?
- I've enabled the SSH server to do SSH1 but not SSH2 and my attempts to use SFTP fail. Why?
- How do I setup HOST BASED authentication so that any user can SSH without using a password? This is system based authentication rather than user based.
- How can I configure MultiNet's SSH server to ignore requests from addresses which are not in some sort of "approved" list? I can add hosts to the SSH configuration file but it seems that the SSH server doesn't check the client address until *after* it's accepted the client connection. I want it to completely *ignore* such clients.
- Is there a way to identify whether a user's current interactive session is connected via SSH protocol v1 rather than v2 so that a message can be displayed?
- Can you change the port the SSH server listens on?
- Do I need to use the HP software if I want to run
another KDC with MultiNet v5.0?
- What do I need from HP to run MultiNet Kerberos v5.0
Telnet Server and Client?
Why do TELNET and FTP take 1 to 2 minutes to connect?
- It seems that
after five or so incoming FTP (or TELNET) connections have been established,
other people can connect, but their sessions 'hang.' Is this a MultiNet
- How can I
restrict certain services (e.g., TELNET, FTP) to certain cluster nodes?
- I'm using Multinet V5.2 and the accept-hosts on the TELNET service is not working correctly. Addresses on the accept-hosts are not allowed access to the service.